Cloud computing is the use of remote computing technology for scalable use over the internet. Mobile cloud computing (MCC) is the technique which leverages this cloud computing in mobile apps. There are many restrictions to increase the computational capacity of mobile phones. They need to be optimized for battery, size, and weight. Amidst all these limitations it becomes very complicated to create highly functional apps. While creating an app the last thing you want is to make an app that is too heavy to operate on any mobile device. This is where mobile cloud computing (MCC) comes in handy. MCC model uses cloud computing to carry out resource intensive tasks over the internet thereby providing greater scope of functionality with minimal pressure on mobile resources.
5 ways to leverage mobile cloud computing:
1. Primary functionality outsourcing – Rigorous tasks like speech recognition or video indexing are ported to the cloud leaving less intensive tasks to still be executed on the phone itself.
2. Background augmentation – Tasks that are not needed to be performed immediately like virus checking or indexing files are moved to the cloud thus, giving more space for primary activities.
3. Mainline augmentation – Users can pick a specific application to be run in an augmented fashion over the cloud. This keeps the workings of the program intact but changes the method of its execution.
4. Hardware augmentation – A virtual clone of the mobile software is created on the cloud which is then modified to support high-level applications previously beyond its computational capacity.
5. Multiplicity – Multiple virtual clones of the device software are created to speed up the execution. This can help applications which require intensive parallel processing.
Know More: 10 biggest risks to mobile apps security
Why Choose Mobile Cloud computing?
- Quick development:
While developing resource intensive apps for mobile a great deal of time is spent in optimizing the code to be less resource intensive. This limits the potential of both developers and apps. Developing intensive mobile apps in the cloud makes it easier for developers to develop scalable applications.
- Greater Scope:
Mobile cloud computing supports a variety of development approaches and devices. While creating apps on mobile devices the reach of the app is limited to recent OS. Some apps become so resource intensive that they can only be used on high-end phones. MCC allows for greater reach and flexibility for the apps. Thus, reducing dependency on device OS and configuration.
Mobile cloud computing improves the reliability of the app by backing up information on the cloud. Since all the important data is stored in the cloud it no longer faces the risk of getting lost or stolen with the mobile phone. Even migrating from one phone to another is smooth with the cloud, accounting for easier access to data.
Advantages of MCC to the Users:
The user also enjoys many benefits by opting for cloud-enabled mobile apps. Many developers and business leaders ignore these benefits. As a matter of fact, apps are made for users and the better experience it provides more are the chances of its success. User experience with the app should always be the top priority and mobile cloud computing ensures that to the fullest.
1. Minimal pressure on the mobile resources leads to extended battery life. Users now prefer apps that are light on battery.
2. Use of cloud in mobile apps results in improved data storage capacity and processing power.
3. Data is easily synchronized across multiple devices leading to faster and easier migration and cross-device use.
4. Since data is stored on the cloud it remains safe even if the device is damaged. By using password locks this data can also be secured ensuring user privacy.
5. The app runs smoothly on any device giving greater satisfaction. Users obviously prefer apps which are fast, scalable and secure.
By using mobile cloud computing you can create impactful apps that don’t even rely on mobile capabilities for execution. Technologies like augmented reality, virtual reality, geofencing etc. are the main beneficiaries of mobile cloud computing. With 10+ years of experience in developing mobile apps, we have specialized in leveraging all kind of technologies for mobile apps including but not limited to MCC. If you want to develop your own app or want to upgrade an existing one then feel free to contact us.