There is no doubt that the technology is advancing towards a much better future. We were introduced to many top techniques in the last decade. One such technology is – cloud computing. Slowly, new terms were introduced in clouding. However, there are two terms that are used widely in cloud computing – SysOps (System operations) and DevOps (Development operations).
For this, business owners are hiring so many employees in order to perform different activities including developers, testers, network engineers, DBAs, operators, system engineers and then it is a never-ending list.
However, with the invention of cloud computing, 20 percent of the DBA’s task, 80 percent of the network engineer’s task and 50 percent of system admin’s task has become a cakewalk. This bought a big shift in the task of system admin’s. They started to help out the development team in building software or applications instead of protecting the mistakes made by developers. This bought in the term DevOps into play.
The two widely used areas of cloud computing – DevOps and SysOps – are used in various ways. The agile approaches are sued by System administrators to help the DevOps to manage the tasks and infrastructure of software. As the name suggests, Developer and Operation team works together to perform the task and eliminate bugs that help in achieving goals efficiently.
With the use of DevOps and SysOps, they are termed as a single entity instead of thinking them as two different teams. However, the teams have a different mindset that must be changed so that they all can work together in a better environment. Also, it will help them to understand the business goal in a better way to deliver accurate work. With the internet and cloud computing world, these two are working hard to take the company to the top.
Both the terminologies are extremely famous with the companies as they are providing functionality that helps the developer team to increase the productivity of the business. SysOps or DevOps engineers help in the management of all the key responsibilities and task of the IT sector of a company. Also, they handle all the activities that are relayed to the software development cycle.
Especially, DevOps completes the tasks such as coding, testing, configuring and managing an application. Also, in an integrated environment, the development and deployment of an application are easily done. An organization can take advantage of them to increase the productivity.
DevOps and SysOps:
DevOps and SysOps are very large areas of the cloud computing where DevOps manages the activities related to operation and development while SysOps manages the activities that are related to operations and systems.
When the cloud computing was not into play, then the traditional tools such as concurrent version system, source code control system and vendor package management were widely used by the administrators to accomplish the goals of developer activities. However, with the DevOps, the activities are simplified with the help of open-source or cross-platform tools such as Chef and Puppet.
Now, the system admin’s uses code infrastructure as the main cypher that helps in the mechanization of the process of building infrastructure. On the other hand, continuous deployment is the process that is done by developers with the help of automated tools that are used in the building process.
ITIL is used to deliver the product by SysOps which is the guidelines of IT service management that are more aligned towards the goals of a business. It is a big helping hand to a business in keeping a track and builds to design and execute as per the aim.
However, DevOps don’t use continuous delivery approach but they do write, release and test an application in a short duration of time. The automation process in each and every process has made the software development cycle more reliable and fast allowing DevOps to work in a productive way.
While selecting any one of them, a business must:
- Understand the importance of predicting and determining the rate of traffic.
- The speed of execution must be your top priority as it is the final step of the development
- Know the indexing and scaling when the traffic goes up and you are able to generate more leads.
- Ensure the speed at which an application will easily adapt any changes made in it.
- Know the exact or appropriate time of software release.
- Keep a track of the global access that your business will go through that can help you to grab the attention of a global This will help in promoting your business at a huge level than just locally giving you more leads.
Difference between DevOps and SysOps
The nature of the tasks of DevOps and SysOps are similar to each other but there are many differences that occur in the code development, delivery, update reactions, entity change and approach towards service.
- The model that is used for the delivery is similar to the robust model that allows easy coordination and more reliable communication between operations and developers team.
- The developer and operation team words together in order to reach their goals with an effective agreement to identify and implement any of the points or changes.
- DevOps teams used an unforeseen manner to support the deployment or the changes in an application.
- In the DevOps approach, the aims of any organization are taken into consideration while implementing any changes in software.
- Also, DevOps teams work by keeping the code in mind that can help them to bring the necessary features in an application as per customer’s demand.
- In the SysOps delivery, the approach that is used is – ITIL.
- SysOps team follow a consistent approach to the deployment and change of the software.
- To help out the developer team, SysOps supports the consistent manner do deployment and change of an application.
- In the SysOps, the system process is kept in mind by the team that makes the work smooth.
- The main task of the SysOps is done on servers that are used to make changes in an application if required.
In the internet and cloud era, SysOps and DevOps approaches are changing the development process of any software or application. IT is an essential factor that is required by the business to thrive in any market. The customer-oriented services are provided by many businesses with the help of online and internet related software or application.
These business firms are using DevOps and SysOps platform in order to gain profit and success. However, it depends on the requirement and demand of a client or customer that set the process of business. You can go for any of them with guarantee success in the market.