There’s no doubt that e-commerce has changed the way people shop. The majority of shoppers these days prefer going online, finding what they want, then ordering it right away. It seems as if online shopping has modified the shopping behavior of consumers in more ways than one. Such modifications have prompted business owners to launch e-commerce websites to fully adapt to innovation.
Do you plan on starting an online business? Or maybe you already have one but you have no idea how to optimize your e-commerce website? No matter what your reason may be, the following tips can help you optimize your e-commerce website effectively:
1. Increase Your Site Speed
Online shoppers are not very keen on waiting. Perhaps it’s because they know there are several other websites they can check out when one website won’t load or work as expected. Familiarize yourself with the render start time (RST.) RST is how long it takes for the website to display its first page or content. When RST is longer than usual, it’s annoying and you can’t expect your customers to wait. If you don’t know already, Google also considers site speed when ranking websites.
To check your site’s speed, you can use Google Checker. It’s recommended for websites to load in less than two seconds, or else viewers will leave the page. Check out these tips below on how you can increase your website loading speed:
- Reduce the data size of your files. You can do this by compressing photos, videos, and other content.
- Get a faster web hosting plan if you can afford it. The cost may be higher, but a competitive web hosting plan can potentially increase your website’s loading speed.
- Reduce the number of plugins. Plugins add several features to your website but the more plugins there are, the more resources will also be needed for them to run. Aside from slowing down the website, it may also cause security issues with third-party providers.
There are several ways you can help increase your website speed. If you’re not sure which one applies to your website, you can also consider reaching out to ecommerce agencies in your area. Ecommerce agencies can be of great help when optimizing your e-commerce website. They’ll partner with you in solving complex problems involving your website, and may also offer full strategic services that can help your marketing, technology, and optimization techniques.
2. Optimize Your Content
No matter how fast your website loads, if the content isn’t engaging and informational enough, you can’t possibly optimize your e-commerce website. Your high-impact pages such as the homepage, category pages, product pages, and blog posts are the most visited pages on your website and you should optimize them as much as you can.
To start with, here are some tips that could help in optimizing your content:
- Utilize target keywords. Keywords are the most common words that customers or page viewers use whenever they search for something online. Once you’ve determined what keywords you want to target, learn how to strategically insert them on high-impact pages. It’s also highly recommended that your keywords insertion is relevant, descriptive, and helpful to your content and your viewers.
- Take advantage of keywords tools. There are several keyword tools that you can use, such as the Keyword Planner by Google. Keyword tools will help you in determining which keywords are appropriate and strategic for your high-impact pages.
- Make your product descriptions more unique. Instead of simply writing the size, color, and other details of your product, consider writing a full-content article for each, with at least 800 words for each product. You can insert your target keywords naturally in each article. At the same time, this allows you to share as much information as you want about what you offer.
- Start blogging. Blogging has always been a crucial part of optimizing an e-commerce website. Aside from keeping your website fresh and updated, it affects the overall growth of your business. Yes, it may be helpful to promote your business using other means on the internet such as Facebook or Instagram, but blogging proves to be a fail-proof method when you want to create high-quality content that’s optimized for your business. The majority of internet users engage in reading blogs every day, and most of them have made purchases based on an article or blog they’ve read.
- Never duplicate your content. Though unintentional, duplicate content can happen if you’re not careful enough. When you’ve already posted several blogs, articles, and product descriptions on your website, it can get difficult to track and identify them all. To make it easier, you can consider using identifier tools such as Copyscape, Siteliner, and Frog.
3. Stay Updated On Google’s Algorithm
After increasing your website speed and optimizing your website content, there’s another thing you need to stay updated on, and that’s Google Algorithm. Google Algorithm is a complex and unique system that Google uses in retrieving data from their search index. Doing so will help in providing the best possible answers or results for an online query.
Updates on Google Algorithm happens thousands of times every year, with some changes that are too small to get noticed by SEO experts and webmasters. These changes and updates can either hurt or help your e-commerce website, that’s why you must always be in the know whenever something happens.
Google aims to provide the best possible answers whenever an internet user searches for something online, that’s why they’re very keen on updating and changing their algorithms from time to time. To monitor and track Google updates on their algorithms, you can set up and customize Google alerts based on quality, source, phrase, frequency, and topic.
Another way to stay updated on Google Algorithm is to get on Twitter. Twitter is a very relevant platform and you can use it to your advantage. Make sure you’re following specific hashtags such as #GoogleAlgorithm and #GoogleUpdates.
Running an e-commerce website entails a complex optimization process. If you want to keep your business afloat, you should begin your optimization efforts by considering the tips listed above. Aside from helping you get off on the right foot, these tips should also prepare you for when it’s time to take up more advanced techniques that involve e-commerce website optimization.
Your customers matter and when they’re satisfied with the performance of your website, they’re more likely to return and even recommend you to their friends and family. Optimizing your e-commerce website is a surefire way of achieving customer satisfaction while also increasing your website traffic, sales, and revenue.